Sunday, October 16, 2022

First Sub-24 Trail 100 at Indiana

 A different me might have been anxious coming to a 100-mile run after a DNF. But I was only excited and confident. After all, running a race with only 6,000 feet of gain in mild fall weather ought to be much easier than climbing 20,000 feet in the mountains on a hot day.

My A goal was to finish in 22 hours, setting a 100-mile PR (I ran a 100 on pavement in 22:22 back in 2016); my B goal was to finish in 24 hours, being my first sub-24 trail 100; and my C goal was just to finish. If everything went to hell, I'd just crawl across the finish line. After all, the whole reason I was here was to get a Western States qualifier. It hadn't been the best of years: DNS at Laurel Highlands due to an injury, DNF at Pine to Palm... But I'd finish this one. I was confident and ready.

In ultrarunning, a little confidence goes a long way, and so my morning at Indiana Trail 100 started out well. I was enduringly grateful that it continued that way. All along, my only real let-down was falling off my 22-hour pace at mile 60 or so, slowing down a bit. But I was determined to dig deep and run my best and try to hit my next target: a sub-24 finish. 

The story is a little bit boring. Everything went well, really, as far as ultras go. I jogged happily for hours down the woodland path with a pouch full of candy like a fairytale child. My legs started feeling heavy around mile 30. For a little while I was worried that four weeks' recovery wasn't enough since my last race. Soon I had a slight twinge in my left IT band. By mile 50, my legs were tired, but I could still run if I focused. I slowed a bit but kept going. By mile 75, my right Achilles tendon started hurting, but not enough to stop me. In the end, miles 75–100 were faster than miles 50–75. I passed a handful of people in the final 20 miles. I ran with goblin form but also determination. 

I crossed the finish line at 23:56, a few minutes ahead of the 24-hour mark. I was stunned. "Are you okay?" the race director asked me. "Yeah," I said. "I just never did that before." I almost teared up. 

I was proud of myself for pushing so consistently, and not to mention for getting everything else right that day: moving through aid stations quickly, navigating my drop bag like a Nascar pit crew, remembering to tell my mom I was happy to see her when I did. I had just the right amount of clothing, and I even had spare batteries for my lights. 

The race was fantastic, and fantastically managed. I'd recommend it, particularly as a first 100 for anyone. The 25-mile loops were beautiful and the trail was smooth sailing—beautifully maintained. The aid stations were well-placed (about every 4 miles) and well-stocked, and the volunteers were so helpful. My only source of stress, if you can call it that, was trying to find a patch of cell signal to send my sister a Snap so we wouldn't lose our streak. And once I managed that, the rest of the day was a breeze. 

I finished 37th of 130 finishers. I'm writing this a week after finishing, and I feel good. My right Achilles is still a little swollen, but I was able to go for an easy recovery run yesterday and today. Already dreaming of the next one.

Things that worked for me: 

  • Trail Toes cream – no blisters! I applied it once at the start and then when I changed socks at mile 50.
  • Xoskin socks – toe socks!
  • Naked belt – This was my first race with this belt, and I loved it. Tons of space to hold gummy bears and M&Ms.

Getting ready to start! It was in the 30s and dark, and I didn't want to get too cold before the start


Starting line


Coming in at mile 50

Typical view on the trail



One of the many lakes at Chain o Lakes

Kept my candy supply close to hand

Especially in the evening there were lots of furry caterpillars to avoid

Late afternoon

The trail at night

View of the finish line from mile 99.5. Just a few minutes left... 


No comments:

Post a Comment