Friday, July 8, 2011

One of the most annoying days in recent history

Today was supposed to be great. I left early from work to catch a 2 p.m. flight to New York City to visit Abby. We were going to walk around for a bit, win tickets to the Book of Mormon and eat some yummy pizza. Tomorrow I was going to wake up early and go for a romantic 12-mile run around Central Park.

Everything took a turn for the worst when my flight was initially delayed until 2:34. I should have known such a felicitous number couldn't have been up to any good. One delay led to another, and we eventually boarded around 3 p.m. We sat on the plane for an hour or so—I'd fallen asleep—before they kicked us all off. Then we waited around some more without any news... They told us they'd make an announcement at 5 p.m. Well, 5 rolled around and their announcement was that they had no update for us. Thanks, Frontier.

Anyway, around 6-something they told us (after attempting to board the plane once more and then aborting that process halfway through) that the flight was cancelled, sayonara. The weather at LaGuardia was apparently just too bad.

Fast forward... Some calls and 20 minutes on hold later I had tickets for an 8 a.m. flight. Never mind that I'd just wasted 6 hours at the airport... My brother was able to pick me up and we headed over to our mom's house for another one of my brother's birthdays. We had dinner at McD's of all places and then went back home for some cake.

With all my plans shaken up, I decided to do my 12-mile run tonight, since I wouldn't be able to do it in the morning, and I didn't feel like waiting till Sunday. Also it'd free up some room in my backpack since I wouldn't have to bring my running stuff, meaning I could buy some sweet stuff in New York. Like maybe some stuff from 21 Mercer. Like maybe some LunarGlide 3 iD shoes.

So I got back to my house around 9:30, dead-tired but for some stupid reason determined to go on a 12-mile run. I got dressed, packed a gel in my pocket (it'd be the first time I tried one... figured might as well do it now on a moderately short run before I actually need the gel...) and brooded on the couch for 20 minutes about how awful the day was.

The only saving grace of today was that I bought a Naked juice at the airport which was supposed to cost $4.02.... I gave the girl $20.25 and she gave me $18.28 in change.

Anyway, I went on my run and the first few miles were pretty brutal. I definitely tripped and ate it around Michigan & Broadway in the second mile. But then it eased up. Eventually I couldn't feel anything anymore and it was increbidible.

I made 12 miles in less time than I ran 11 miles last week... Well, I wasn't running in sweltering heat today. But I was dead tired and I didn't have a chance to refill my water bottle at all.... So imo I did pretty well. Tomorrow and Sunday will be rest/cross-training days, although I'll be on my feet all day both days I think exploring New York.

Pace: 9:15

No comments:

Post a Comment